Emergency

So, this is an extra post to make up for not posting on Thursday.

Why did I not post on Thursday?

Well, let me see...

Usually I set up my posts by the night before at the latest. However, this Wednesday night, shortly after my husband got home, our 4-year old started complaining of sudden and severe shoulder pain. He had been sitting on the couch watching TV, so I couldn't think of anything that could have caused it. I had noticed that his cough had been lasting for awhile (about 5 days).

When the pain didn't go away after about an hour (including him trying to lay down and rest and watching TV), my husband volunteered to take him to the urgent care. While there, his pain did get suddenly better, but an X-ray showed possible pneumonia.

So, we spend most of Thursday at the doctor's office. Our toddler already had an appointment at 9:15 for his 2-year old well checkup. That took about an hour and a half including driving (my father-in-law was fortunately able to watch our 4-year old). Then, they were able to see my oldest at 1:50pm to check on the possible pneumonia. By the time we confirmed pneumonia AND added a severe ear infection to the diagnosis AND picked up the SECOND antibiotic to treat the ear infection, it was about 3:15 and I put the kids down for a late nap. When I had to wake them up at 5:30, the toddler had a rough time adjusting (they normally nap between 2-4 or 4:30 at the latest).

Needless to say, I had other priorities Wednesday night and Thursday, and blogging was not one of them!

And, this is the reason we budget. Because we have a high deductible health plan, this bout of sickness has already cost us at least $200, possibly more once all the bills come in. We do have an HSA, but for some reason we don't have the debit card for it yet, so we've paid for all of it out of our regular spending and will get reimbursed. If we were living paycheck to paycheck, this could be the difference between food and gas in the car, or medical care.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Faith Saved

Fair Fun

Dave Matthews Band - Live Trax Volume 10