Weekly Food Budget

So, to keep up with the more strict food budget we have for the next few weeks, I'm committing to a weekly "wrap up" of my food spending over the last 7 days (Friday to Friday). I actually have two Aldi's trips this week, although one primarily to purchase a $9 garden hose (with a 10 year warranty) than for food. Also, we didn't do a "regular" grocery trip this week. Rather, I had one trip to Kroger mainly for baking supplies for my father-in-law's birthday, and one Food Lion trip. We rarely buy all our groceries at Food Lion, but it was easier to make just one trip and my husband went while the kids were napping. Here's a quick breakdown of what we spent...

Kroger - $19.76 total. $10.61 for baking supplies and a gift for my father-in-law. $1 for some laundry detergent that I plan to give to charity, and the rest was typical food purchases. I bought hamburger buns for 0.49, microwave popcorn for $2.49 for an 8 pack, $3,89 for raisins (turns out I should have waited to get these at Aldi's for $2.79, but my 2 year old had been asking for them), and Poptarts for $1.99.

Food Lion - $30.41 total for grocery purchases. We bought a pound of cheese, Food Lion brand Bagel Bites (generic prices, but taste like the real thing), used a free coupon for a Totinos Party Pizza, 2 gallons of milk, 2 bags of Goldfish (my kids eat regular and vanilla cupcake every day for snack), Tortillas, 2 packs of Lance peanut butter cheese crackers (my oldest son has sensory issues and this is one a very few ways to get protein in him and the only brand of it he will eat), and then my husband bought soda for himself, since it's about the only thing he drinks.

Aldi's trip # 1- $2.31 with tax for food items including organic baby carrots for 0.69, wide pan whole wheat bread for 0.90, Gardetto's snack mix for 0.67, and then the garden hose which I don't count as a food purchase.

Aldi's trip # 2 - white tortilla chips, 3 pounds of fuji apples, baking soda, 20 ounces of Roma tomatoes, 2 pounds of red onions, 3 heads of garlic, 6 ounces of blueberries, peanut butter wafer bars, 1 pound of margarine, and 4 avocados for $13.70 including tax. Most of these items were purchased specifically for making guacamole for a church gathering.

I also generally include diapers in our weekly grocery budget, and we spent $24.55 on diapers at Amazon (although this should last us 6-8 weeks). We also spent $7.89 on a small one week pack of diapers last Saturday to make it until our Amazon order came in. If I include all the diapers, but take out the baking supplies and gift for my father-in-law, it comes out to $88.01 for the week for groceries. Definitely an atypical week with my father-in-law's birthday, a bulk diaper purchase, and planning for a church gathering this week, but still pretty close to the current (smaller) budget.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Faith Saved

Fair Fun

Dave Matthews Band - Live Trax Volume 10